You will require to apply for Planning Permission if the Local Authority deems that what you are proposing (whether building or demolition) cosnstitutes a Development.


There is in Scotland a general consensus as to what constitutes Development and what is Permitted Development (ie. Planning notification which does not require a Formal Planning Application to be made).


 For Minor development such as a one storey extension, Planning Permission will not be required, provided that the extension meets all the Criteria for Permitted Development. Please note: the local Authority may ask for a certificate of Lawfulness, this effectively is Planning Permission , without having to go through the Planning formalities, and it is generally half the cost of a Full Planning Application.


Nonetheless, in our experience, different Local Authorities will apply Local Planning By-laws to generally safeguard minor developments from getting out of hand. This means that a small kitchen extension in one authority could be determined Permitted Development, whilst the mere changing of a door in another Local authority (or indeed, the same authority) may require a formal application to be made.


In general, Permitted Development is common for one storey rear extensions, but required otherwise, for nearly everything else. Even if you do not intend to erect a Building Structure, but you want to change the use of an existing building (or part of a building). For example changing a fruit shop into a dentist surgery, or a house into a day-nursery; it is likely that you will require Planning Permission.


Planning Permission should not be confused with Building  Warrant approval. Planning deals with safeguarding the privacy of  neighbours, and other environmental issues. Whilst Building Warrants deal with technical and health and safety matters.


We will help you establish whether Planning Permission is required; and if so we will act as your agent representative in the consultation and the making of the planning Application including all the necessary drawings.


For guidance notes on extensions and alterations to dwellings, click here.



Remember: consultation is free



Our Fees ( Architect's fee for Planning application only)


We generally charge a standard £500 for an application where development building costs are estimated at no more than £250,000 pounds.


for extensions fees click here


click on any link below for further information

Planning Process Summary


Who grants Permission?

Planning consent is granted by a Planning Committee or Subcommitee depending on the respective Local Authority. These committees are made up of local elected Councillors, and they generally meet every six weeks to decide on Planning Applications.



Who assess my application?

A Planning officer will assess each Planning Application and will write a report for the Planning Committee to approve or refuse an application. The Planning Committee is not bound to accept the recommendations of the Planning Officer; but it is very rare that a planning Committee will determine an application contrary to the planning recommendations given in the Officer's Report.


Minor Developments : houses, houses extensions, garages, loft conversions, conservatories, etc...

For minor developments such as a house extension or loft conversion, the Local Authority will often, delegate to the Head of the Planning Department. powers to approve an Application. This means that the Planning application is quickly dealt with,  and the often long wait associated with Planning committees decisions is dispensed with. However, even for minor application, if there are objections by neighbours or any other party who has a legitimate interest in the nature of your development, then the application will be referred to the aforementioned Committees.


Contentious Applications

if a Planning Application is likely to be contentious, the Client can ask to be represented at the planning Committee meeting. An architect, with good and relevant experience, appropriately prepared may prove invaluable.

Neighbours and Owners Notifications

With every Planning application, the Local authority on behalf of the Applicant will notify all neighbours and owners of any adjoining land, in accordance with Planning Regulations.


An Applicant does not necessarily need to own the land to make a planning application for development on that land. However, he/she is required by law to notify the owner/s and any adjoining neighbours.

if in doubt as to who is required to be notified the applicant or his agent, should seek advice from the respective Local Authority.


Although the regulations refer to the applicant who makes the notification, this is generally carried out by the applicant appointed agent usually his/her appointed architect.


Applicants are advised in cases where it is not possible to contact all legitimate interested owners and neighbours then the Local authority will demand that an advertisement is placed in the local news papers, and the costs paid for by the applicant.


Where by stautue a development is termed a bad neighbour (such an example being a fast food outlet) then the relative fees and costs are likely to include for such an advertisement in addition to the standard fees outlined in the Planning guide

Building Construction and Services

tel.  07982610988



Education and Day Nurseries